Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the author’s opinions and recommendations alone. It may not have been previewed, commissioned or otherwise endorsed by any of our network partners.
Updated on Wednesday, April 25, 2018
The new Uber Visa Debit Card is a checking account tailor-made for Uber drivers and delivery partners. It’s a rewards checking account that gives you cash back and special discounts at a range of gas stations and certain auto service shops.
Unfortunately, unless you’re an Uber driver or delivery partner, you can’t sign up for this card. Check out our roundup of other good gas credit cards here.
In this review, we’re going to walk you through all the details on this card, including what kind of fees to expect, rewards, perks and other frequently asked questions. By the end, you should know if this card has a place in your wallet.
Who is the Uber debit card best for?
The Uber Visa Debit Card from GoBank is best for Uber drivers who want to get their Uber earnings faster and who want to save money on the things they’re already spending money on, like gas, car maintenance services and their mobile phone.
How to sign up
To sign up for an account, visit this registration page or go to your Uber driver portal and click “Instant Pay.” Follow the instructions to apply for your Uber Visa Debit Card from GoBank. Once approved, you’ll get your card in five to seven business days.
Rewards: At a glance
Make sure you opt into the rewards program in order to start earning cash back.
Once you sign up for the card, you must activate your card and opt into the reward program to start earning cash back or discounts at the participating merchants. Enroll here.
Then be patient. It may take up to 7 days for Cash Back to be deposited into your account.
Here’s a breakdown of the rewards:
- Exxon and Mobil gas: 3% cash back
- Other gas stations: 1.5% cash back
- Walmart: 2% cash back on in-store and online purchases
- Advance Auto Parts and participating Carquest Auto Parts locations: 10% cash back on auto part purchases with a $100 monthly maximum
- Sprint: Pay your bill and receive 8% cash back with a $50 maximum per month per account. This offer ends on 2/20/2019, so take advantage of it while you can
- Jiffy Lube: 15% discount on select automotive maintenance services. This deal is valid at any Jiffy Lube U.S. location, however, batteries, tires, gift cards and e–gift cards are not included.
- 24/7 roadside assistance from Urgent.ly for $0.49 a month with sign-up. Register here to redeem the offer.
- Free withdrawals at various ATM locations nationwide.
- Cash-out earnings from Uber driving through Instant Pay up to five times a day free.
Fees and other fine print
The Uber Visa Debit Card from GoBank comes with relatively few fees, which sets it apart from many other checking account options out there. You won’t have to meet any minimum balance requirement, pay for a setup fee or even worry about overdraft fees if you qualify for their Back Up Balance Program (more details on that in the next section).
Annual fee: $0.
Monthly fee: $0
Setup fee: $0
ATM fee: $0 at participating ATMs; $2.50 at out-of-network ATMs and bank tellers, plus any fee the ATM owner or bank may charge
Foreign transaction fee: 3%
Overdraft fees: The Backup Balance Program
The Uber Visa Debit Card from GoBank has an interesting feature for regular drivers — the “Back Up Balance Program.” If you qualify for this program, GoBank may let you off the hook when you overdraw your account, so long as you don’t overdraw it by more than $100.
There’s more fine print about this program, which is a bit wonky but important to understand.
- You must have completed 250 trips since you started driving with Uber AND you complete 80 trips every 30 days.
- Once you’ve unlocked Backup Balance, you will have access to the feature for 30 days. If you complete 80 trips in those 30 days, you’ll maintain access; if not, you’ll regain access once you’ve completed 80 trips in the last 30 days.
- The Back Up Balance Program only applies to inadvertent overdrafts solely made using your Uber Visa debit card.
- Won’t apply to overdrafts made at an ATM, peer-to-peer transfers (like Venmo or PayPal, for example), bill payments, or any non-purchase transactions.
- Even if you meet these requirements, GoBank still reserves the right to decide whether or not a transaction qualifies, saying “payment or authorization by us of overdrafts is not guaranteed.”
If you can jump through all those hoops, then GoBank will allow any overdrawn amounts up to $100 to be replenished from future deposits to your account.
Alternatives to the Uber Visa Debit Card from GoBank
When it comes to debit cards, there’s really nothing like the Uber debit card available for Uber drivers. Few checking accounts even offer rewards, let alone cashback rewards as lucrative as this card.
However, since only Uber drivers are eligible, what about the rest of us?